Job Type: Full-time
Job Location: Remote (during COVID-19)
Job Level: Intermediate
We’re looking for a creative, dedicated candidate to join our Research & Development team. You will create and develop the cloud component for SHOEBOX solutions to meet market needs relating to architecture, implementation, testing, and maintenance. The Intermediate Java Cloud Developer is responsible for designing fully functioning, debugged code with required documentation that meets development goals.
This is an opportunity to make a real impact on the world by furthering our mission to expand hearing healthcare around the Globe with our innovative mobile and web-based medical solutions, and to work with an amazing (seriously, amazing) group of brilliant and passionate people.
Why we need you:
We are growing, and we need an innovative thinker and problem-solver to inform, enable, and help the team solve some really interesting challenges.
You want your work to make a meaningful and positive impact on people’s lives. You are a strategic thinker, a collaborative colleague, and a happy do-er.
Your primary responsibilities:
- Produce clean, maintainable, high-quality code
- Develop complex algorithms and heuristic logic to help clinically diagnose hearing loss
- Write code to expand and improve our HIPAA-Compliant Amazon cloud environment
- Perform custom programming as assigned
- Writes extensible code; rewrites and major refactorings of codebase are not required when existing code is enhanced for additional features
- Be an active member of a motivated, tight-knit, Agile team
- Work in a fast-paced Agile environment
- Interact with key partners and internal users regarding timelines, technical issues, and infrastructure integration
- Work with team and squad leads to understand requirements and to make sure you understand the problem being solved
- Work with senior members of squad to have your documented designs reviewed and approved before starting implementation
- Ensure work progresses to schedule and keep (internal) customers informed of project progress.
- Actively participate in team meetings and offer recommendations /ideas on design projects
- Build and maintain clean architecture and design
- Maintain and modify existing applications.
- Perform maintenance programming for existing versions.
- Fix defects and add features to software
- Debug and test software implementation
- Provide design documents and documentation to ensure efficient maintenance and code reuse
- Participate in the design and implementation of databases
- Strong knowledge of SQL
- Experience building and maintaining data systems for analysis
- Take initiative, be accountable, and keep learning
- Accountable for decisions you make after receiving guidance
- Take initiative and provide suggestions for work
- Able to follow documented procedures
- Assist with on-boarding of new squad members
- Provide feedback to others via design reviews and code reviews
- Post-secondary degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent job experience
- 3+ years of distributed server-side Java development experience
- Working knowledge of design patterns
- Working knowledge of Python
- Writing SQL queries and interacting with databases
- Ability to own small to medium-sized features
- Appreciation of test-driven development, unit testing, and end-to-end testing
- Ability to communicate system designs in a document or wiki page
- Experience leveraging AWS services (EC2, Athena, Lambda, SNS / SQS, CloudFormation, RDS)
- Experience writing RESTful web services
- Working knowledge of advanced Java
- Knowledge of PostgreSQL
- Strong analytical skills
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Overtime as required.
- Lifting or moving up to 10lbs may be required.
Who are we? We’re SHOEBOX Ltd. We design and develop audiometry products that are creating a seismic shift in the way hearing healthcare is provided. Utilizing iOS and web technology to replace bulky, expensive equipment, we’re bringing hearing testing into the 21st century and making it more affordable and accessible than ever before.
Why that’s important: 5% of the world’s population suffers from disabling hearing loss, 60% of childhood hearing loss is due to preventable causes, and the majority of people with disabling hearing loss live in low-middle income countries. We can help. With our products, hearing testing can be conducted outside of a sound booth and without the need for clunky equipment (you just need a calibrated headset and an iPad), which allows for testing almost anywhere, anytime, worldwide.
At SHOEBOX, your contribution will have a meaningful impact every single day. On top of that, you’ll be an integral part of an innovative team, working with the latest tools and technologies, pushing the boundaries of what software developers can do, and collaborating with salespeople and developers who are super passionate about their crafts.
In joining us, you’re joining a dedicated and passionate team that works hard and cares deeply about the change we’re making in the world. We also take time to celebrate our successes, enjoy lunchtimes together, and genuinely like and care about one another. Also, our founder knows how to do magic tricks. It’s pretty cool.
We offer competitive salaries and benefits, real work-life balance, flexible hours, RRSP matching, and a discretionary wellness benefit. SHOEBOX will provide you with a MacBook Pro with memory to spare and a 4K monitor.
We invite enthusiastic and qualified applicants to submit their resume by email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Cloud Developer” in the subject line.
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SHOEBOX is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.