Job Type: Full Time
Job Location: Ottawa (remote at present)
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager who is excited to make a real impact on the world by supporting and coaching a cross-functional group of software development team members as they develop innovative mobile and web-based medical solutions. This is an opportunity to create positive change by furthering our mission to expand hearing healthcare around the Globe, and to work with an amazing (seriously, amazing) group of brilliant and passionate people.
Why we need you:
We need more passionate, dedicated, awesome people to join our team and help us make a difference. You are a strategic thinker, a strong collaborator, and a supportive coach.
Your primary responsibilities:
- Manage the day-to-day activities of one or more software development teams, providing coaching, leadership, guidance and performance management as required.
- Ensure development follows the design and development process throughout the development lifecycle.
- Collaborate with the PO and team to ensure achievable milestones are defined and met.
- Ensure development deliverables are documented and key decisions are recorded in accordance with the design and development process.
- Assist in identifying process problems and contribute to the continual enhancement of the design and development processes.
- Work closely with the PO and team to plan and support the execution of development projects.
- Work with the team to establish team success metrics, monitor team performance and guide them towards reaching agreed upon improvement goals.
- Help troubleshoot customer issues and coach team members on problem solving techniques.
- Ensure the team has all tools and resources required to deliver high quality in all aspects of their work and guide the team to consider implementation performance, scalability, reliability, and system architecture for each project.
- Stay current with trends, techniques, technology and other factors impacting the job incorporating as deemed necessary.
- Actively participate in team meetings and offer recommendations /ideas on design projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A relevant academic diploma with a CS or Engineering background
- Minimum 5 years in a leadership or management role.
- Minimum 10 years experience in a software development organization required, experience in a similar industry preferred.
- Demonstrated time management, project management, and problem solving skills.
- Ability to communicate complex technical information to various parties including non-technical members of the organization.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated collaborative work style with the ability to effectively collaborate and work with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to follow through and complete overlapping projects while adhering to strict deadlines.
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts.
- Excellent teamwork and team building skills with a proven ability to delegate.
- Experience leveraging AWS services (EC2, Lambda, SNS / SQS, CloudFormation, RDS)
- Experience developing and deploying iOS apps
- Experience developing React web applications
Who are we? We’re SHOEBOX Ltd. We design and develop audiometry products that are creating a seismic shift in the way hearing healthcare is provided. Utilizing iOS and web technology to replace bulky, expensive equipment, we’re bringing hearing testing into the 21st century and making it more affordable and accessible than ever before.
Why that’s important: 5% of the world’s population suffers from disabling hearing loss, 60% of childhood hearing loss is due to preventable causes, and the majority of people with disabling hearing loss live in low-middle income countries. We can help. With our products, hearing testing can be conducted outside of a sound booth and without the need for clunky equipment (you just need a calibrated headset and an iPad), which allows for testing almost anywhere, anytime, worldwide.
At SHOEBOX, your contribution will have a meaningful impact every single day. On top of that, you’ll be an integral part of an innovative team, working with the latest tools and technologies, pushing the boundaries of what the Development function can do, and collaborating with people who are super passionate about their crafts.
We offer competitive salaries and benefits, real work-life balance, flexible hours, and a discretionary wellness benefit. SHOEBOX will provide you with a MacBook Pro with memory to spare and a 4K monitor.
We invite enthusiastic and qualified applicants to submit their resume by email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Engineering Manager” in the subject line.
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SHOEBOX is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.