Job Type: Full-time
Job Location: Ottawa, ON
We’re looking for a Technical Team Lead to join our Development team. You will work collaboratively as a key member in one of our agile development teams, helping to guide and support the development of an industry-changing product. This is an opportunity to make a real impact on the world by furthering our mission to expand hearing healthcare around the globe with our innovative mobile and web-based medical solutions, and to work with an amazing (seriously, amazing) group of brilliant and passionate people.
Why we need you:
We are growing really fast, and we need a strategic cross-team collaborator to inform, enable, and direct team efforts. You know how to break large daunting initiatives into small achievable milestones and can find simplicity amidst seemingly complex requirements. You are a strategic thinker, a collaborative planner, and a happy do-er.
Your primary responsibilities:
- Manage and maintain a healthy, prioritized product backlog
- Facilitate Agile ceremonies by encouraging thoughtful discussion and informed decision making.
- Work closely with Product Management to help define the product roadmap.
- Collaborate with UX Designer and the development team to deliver and test prototypes of new features before they are developed.
- Analyze and distill requirements into user stories with clear and concise acceptance criteria.
- Forecast, communicate and negotiate release timelines with stakeholders.
- Make sure release deliverables are clear to the development team and stakeholders.
- Protect your team from external distractions and help them grow and improve.
- Work with the team to establish and maintain the best development practices with the main focus on software quality, team engagement, and collaboration.
- Bring the best out of your team by fostering team trust and communication.
- Ensure that all records of review and approval are tracked as needed for regulatory compliance.
- A relevant academic diploma with a CS or Software Engineering background
- 3+ years experience as a Software Developer
- 3+ years in a technical leadership role or product owner role
- Positive attitude and enthusiasm for solving complex problems.
- Experience working in an Agile software development environment
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to juggle multiple simultaneous tasks and priorities
- Ability to break a strategic vision into incremental concrete deliverables
- Ability to articulate written requirements clearly and concisely
- Pragmatic outlook and willingness to jump in and help the team with various tasks as needed
- Legally eligible to work in Canada
- Agile Product Owner or Scrum Master Certification
- Experience conducting user testing
- Training in user experience principles, processes, and best practices
- Past work experience with software as a service (SaaS) products
Who are we? We’re SHOEBOX Audiometry. We design and develop products that are creating a seismic shift in the way hearing healthcare is provided. Utilizing iOS and web technology to replace bulky, expensive equipment, we’re bringing hearing testing into the 21st century and making it more affordable and accessible than ever before.
Why that’s important: 5% of the world’s population suffers from disabling hearing loss, 60% of childhood hearing loss is due to preventable causes, and the majority of people with disabling hearing loss live in low-middle income countries. We can help. With our products, hearing testing can be conducted outside of a sound booth and without the need for clunky equipment (you just need a calibrated headset and an iPad), which allows for testing almost anywhere, anytime, worldwide.
At SHOEBOX, your contribution will have a meaningful impact every single day. On top of that, you’ll be an integral part of an innovative team, working with the latest tools and technologies, pushing the boundaries of what design can do, and collaborating with salespeople and developers who are super passionate about their crafts.
In joining us, you’re joining a dedicated and passionate team that works hard and cares deeply about the change we’re making in the world. We also take time to celebrate our successes, enjoy lunchtimes together, and genuinely like and care about one another. Also, our founder knows how to do magic tricks. It’s pretty cool.
We offer competitive salaries and benefits, real work-life balance, flexible hours, and a discretionary wellness benefit. SHOEBOX will provide you with a MacBook Pro with memory to spare and a 4K monitor.
Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to Erica Sampson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Team Lead (Product Owner)” in the subject line.
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SHOEBOX is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.