We’re looking for a confident, proactive candidate to join our team. As the Technical Writer, you will be responsible for writing, recording, and editing appropriate content (documentation, knowledge base articles, self-serve training videos, and manuals) for the company’s software offerings. You are required to write in a concise yet informative, easy to understand style. To be successful in this role, you must be able to research and understand the functionality and purpose of SHOEBOX Ltd. products and translate this understanding into content that is easily absorbed and understood by any reader. You clearly understand how to instruct and engage technical and non-technical audiences, stay informed on the latest trends in knowledge management, and can write great content for a variety of channels. You also have the ability to produce self-guided video tutorials for the purposes of sales demos and client self-learning.
This is an opportunity to make a real impact on the world by furthering our mission to expand hearing healthcare around the Globe with our innovative mobile and web-based medical solutions, and to work with an amazing (seriously, amazing) group of brilliant and passionate people.
Your primary responsibilities:
- Understand high level technical concepts and produce accurate and concise documentation for end users and support personnel.
- Research and gather relevant technical data from developers, product managers, support specialists, account managers, and UX designers, and internal documents to understand products and requirements.
- Ensure documentation is properly maintained, categorized and meets regulatory requirements.
- Plan, build and maintain customer support and training solutions from the ground up
- Plan, storyboard, and record high quality product videos for multiple purposes.
- Build solutions based on use cases, user stories, feature requirement documents, specifications, technical design documents, and hands-on use of the application.
- Create user guides, online help, process documentation, functional specs and in-product support as needed using appropriate software
- Continually improve support solutions based on customer feedback.
- Produce screenshots, flowcharts, and other graphics as needed.
- Attend and conform to end-user security awareness training.
- Conform to organizational information security policies.
- Conform to Non-disclosure agreements, regulatory or contractual requirements
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Post-secondary degree in English, Communications, Technical Writing, or a technical field
- 2-3 years experience as an Information Developer or Technical Writer, preferably with a minimum of 1 year experience with freelance work.
- Experience in the healthcare, biotechnology, or medical software industry, or another similarly regulated industry.
- Fluency in written and spoken English; bilingualism in other global languages would be considered an asset.
- Strong technical writing skills.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills.
- Information gathering and interviewing skills.
- Self-starter who takes initiative in advocating for the user and building the best support and training experience possible.
- Eager to learn and contribute.
- Legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Experience working with Madcap Flare or similar content authoring tools.
- Experience with single-sourcing methodologies.
- Experience working in an Agile development environment.
- Experience planning and building a variety of customer support and training solutions, beyond written documentation.
- Graphic Design or Illustration knowledge.
- Experience working in healthcare technology.
- Knowledge of audiology or hearing health.
- Experience working within a QMS system.
- Knowledgeable and skilled in the creation of wikis, video training, webinars, in-product support, user manuals, etc.
Who are we? We’re SHOEBOX Ltd. We are a medical device company that designs and develops audiometry products creating a seismic shift in the way hearing healthcare is provided. Utilizing iOS and web technology to replace bulky, expensive equipment, we’re bringing hearing testing into the 21st century and making it more affordable and accessible than ever before.
Why that’s important: 5% of the world’s population suffers from disabling hearing loss, 60% of childhood hearing loss is due to preventable causes, and the majority of people with disabling hearing loss live in low-middle income countries. We can help. With our products, hearing testing can be conducted outside of a sound booth and without the need for clunky equipment (you just need a calibrated headset and an iPad), which allows for testing almost anywhere, anytime, worldwide.
At SHOEBOX, your contribution will have a meaningful impact, every single day. On top of that, you’ll be an integral part of an innovative team, working with the latest tools and technologies, pushing the boundaries of what the Customer Support function can do, and collaborating with colleagues who are super passionate about their work.
In joining us, you’re joining a dedicated and passionate team that works hard and cares deeply about the change we’re making in the world. We also take time to celebrate our successes, enjoy lunchtimes together, and genuinely like and care about one another. Also, our founder knows how to do magic tricks. It’s pretty cool.
We offer competitive salaries and benefits, real work-life balance, flexible hours, and a discretionary wellness benefit. SHOEBOX will provide you with a MacBook Air with memory to spare and a 4K monitor.
We invite enthusiastic and qualified applicants to submit their resumes here.
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SHOEBOX is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.