We’re looking for an enthusiastic UI/UX designer (who loves a challenge) to help shape our innovative mobile and web-based hearing health products. You love making interfaces easy and enjoyable to use, and have demonstrated experience in the end-to-end (from ideation to execution) design process. Your efforts will balance our teams’ work to make hearing healthcare as universally accessible and engaging as possible.
This is an opportunity to make a real impact on the world by furthering our mission to expand hearing healthcare around the globe, and to work with an amazing (seriously, amazing) group of brilliant and passionate people.
Why we need you:
Design decisions help determine how our company’s future looks and feels. That’s saying a lot! We are consistently and constantly growing in our products and our company, and we need a strategic, talented, and experienced designer to inform, enable, and advocate for good design.
What does the right fit look like? You consistently champion inclusive design and the best user experience. Sometimes, you lose yourself in imagining smarter, more effective designs that will create a more beautiful world. You love to learn, are happiest when working shoulder-to-shoulder with brilliant, quirky, and likable developers, and genuinely look forward to feedback as an opportunity to improve in your craft.
Your primary responsibilities:
You’ll be the designer and UX specialist on a product team that spans both iOS and web application design. You’ll work with a diverse, development-driven team to come up with innovative solutions, and support ongoing user experience and design initiatives across the company with your fellow designers. Here’s some of the nitty gritty of what that will look like:
- Leading and participating in brainstorming sessions with team members to plan feature designs
- Sketching, wireframing, and prototyping solutions depending on requirements
- Creating pixel-perfect mockups of user interfaces for both iOS and web applications
- Interfacing with developers to plan feature implementation and UX functionality and provide design feedback
- Planning, executing, and summarizing usability testing of proposed solutions
- Presenting and sharing final designs with stakeholders
- Championing user experience and inclusive design across the company
- Min. 3 years of experience working as a professional designer, with experience in a product company preferred
- Diploma or degree in design (or equivalent experience)
- Strong familiarity with industry-standard software: Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Sketch, and prototyping tools like Invision or Principle
- Demonstrated experience in wireframing, prototyping, creating pixel-perfect mockups, and facilitating or participating in usability testing
- Demonstrated experience designing for apps/mobile and web
- Strong understanding of and eye for design and UX principles
- Experience working with and thriving in a team
- Strong communication skills across all channels: visual, oral, and written
- Familiarity with working in an Agile environment
- Motion or animation design experience
- Writing / content skills
- Knowledge of print design best practices
- UX Research experience
- Knowledge of Apple Human Interface design
- Knowledge of WCAG AA 2.1 and accessibility best practices
Who are we? We’re SHOEBOX Audiometry. We design and develop products that are creating a seismic shift in the way hearing healthcare is provided. Utilizing iOS and web technology to replace bulky, expensive equipment, we’re bringing hearing testing into the 21st century and making it more affordable and accessible than ever before.
Why that’s important: 5% of the world’s population suffers from disabling hearing loss, 60% of childhood hearing loss is due to preventable causes, and the majority of people with disabling hearing loss live in low-middle income countries. We can help. With our products, hearing testing can be conducted outside of a sound booth and without the need for clunky equipment (you just need a calibrated headset and an iPad), which allows for testing almost anywhere, anytime, worldwide.
At SHOEBOX, your contribution will have a meaningful impact every single day. On top of that, you’ll be an integral part of an innovative team, working with the latest tools and technologies, pushing the boundaries of what design can do, and collaborating with salespeople and developers who are super passionate about their crafts.
In joining us, you’re joining a dedicated and passionate team that works hard and cares deeply about the change we’re making in the world. We also take time to celebrate our successes, enjoy lunchtimes together, and genuinely like and care about one another. Also, our founder knows how to do magic tricks. It’s pretty cool.
We offer competitive salaries and benefits, real work-life balance, flexible hours, and a discretionary wellness benefit. SHOEBOX will provide you with a MacBook Pro with memory to spare and a 4K monitor.
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter, resume, and a link to your portfolio by email to our Senior Product Designer Sara at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “UI/UX Designer” in the subject line. Just so you know, we’re really serious about the cover letter—we won’t look at your resume without it!
Portfolio requirements include:
- Examples of real-world digital product design (web or mobile apps). We are looking for professional projects, not student ones.
- Demonstration of design process through wireframing, prototyping, sketches, etc.
Successful applicants are people who stand out and really demonstrate passion in their chosen career. Tell us something more than just your work history—what’s your favorite part of the design process? What’s the most interesting project you’ve ever worked on? We want to know.
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SHOEBOX is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.