Audiometry Equipment Reimagined
San Antonio, TX— March 24, 2015 — Today, Clearwater Clinical announced the general release of version 2.0 of the SHOEBOX iPad Audiometer. SHOEBOX is the first and only clinically validated iPad Audiometer. With today’s announcement, this groundbreaking product now comes with both automated and manual modes. In automated mode, the user can self-test their hearing loss by playing an iPad game. Manual mode allows the Audiologist to control the test like a traditional audiometer.
Developed by a Pediatric Otolaryngologist in response to frustrations over the lack of innovation with traditional equipment, SHOEBOX harnesses the power and portability of mobile technology to completely reimagine audiometry equipment. Used by Audiologists, Otolaryngologists, and even non-hearing professionals, SHOEBOX helps to bring hearing tests to more people in more locations with less effort and increased productivity.
“No other hearing testing equipment is as compact, easy-to-use, cost-efficient, and fun,” Dr. Matthew Bromwich, Otolaryngologist, and Co-founder of Clearwater Clinical. SHOEBOX is FDA and Health Canada listed and produces the same clinically valid frequency thresholds as traditional audiometry systems that cost significantly more.
SHOEBOX offers unique advantages including:
- Portability: comprised of an iPad and headphones – no other hardware required
- Productivity: SHOEBOX can be used to test more people in more locations and faster that testing with traditional equipment
- Flexibility: SHOEBOX Professional can be used by expert audiologist in manual mode with full control over test administration and settings. SHOEBOX Standard offers an easy-to-use gameplay interface that is simple enough to be used by non-hearing professionals
- Mobility: testing can be performed anywhere, including outside of the sound booth. Test protocols adjust automatically for masking, ambient noise, and user error allowing for testing in locations where traditional tools don’t work
- Validation: peer-reviewed literature
- Compliance: conforms to current ANSI and CSA requirements
SHOEBOX version 2.0 now offers both a Professional and Standard edition enabling the individual tester to select the mode of operation – whether manual or automated – that makes the most sense for the patient and environment
“SHOEBOX is the only clinically validated and truly portable audiometer on the market today. It was designed for audiologists, otolaryngologists, speech-language pathologists, and even non-hearing health professionals. It helps to enable hearing testing outside the sound booth and brings the test to the patient instead. For example, teachers can test children simultaneously in the classroom using the Standard game-play interface. Nurses can test residents in nursing homes with the adult game-play version. And audiologists or otolaryngologists who opt for the Professional automated testing mode have complete control over test administration and settings. Because it is based on a mobile device, results can then be saved, printed, and sent by email for referrals or bill processing,” Mike Weider, CEO Clearwater Clinical.
SHOEBOX is a Class II medical device, listed with Health Canada, and the FDA. The SHOEBOX iPad Audiometer is available for purchase directly from the company. For more information visit www.shoebox.md. The product will be on demonstration at the AudiologyNOW conference in booth number 268 on March 24-27, 2015 in Orlando, FLA.
Co-founded in 2005 by ENT Specialist Dr. Matthew Bromwich, Clearwater Clinical designs and manufactures innovative, medical-grade devices that harness the power of mobile technology and apply those advancements to common clinical practices.