SHOEBOX LTD. DATA PROCESSING ADDENDUM
Last Revised: May 12, 2020
THIS ADDENDUM is made between:
SHOEBOX LTD., incorporated under the laws of Canada whose registered office is at 301-80 Aberdeen St., Ottawa, ON Canada K1S 5R5 (“SHOEBOX”); and
The SHOEBOX customer subscribing for SHOEBOX Solutions and/or Services (“Customer”) who requires a Data Processing Addendum,
together the “parties”.
(A) SHOEBOX and the Customer desire to enter into the SHOEBOX Terms of Service (the “Terms”) for the provision by SHOEBOX to the Customer of hearing testing and/or hearing screening SHOEBOX Solutions and Services as those terms are defined in the Terms ; and
(B) SHOEBOX and the Customer have agreed to enter into this Addendum to the Terms in relation to data processing.
IT IS NOW AGREED AS FOLLOWS:
- DEFINITIONS AND INTERPRETATION
- The parties agree that this Addendum will be incorporated as an addendum to the Terms. To the extent of any conflict between this Addendum and the remaining sections of the Terms, this Addendum will prevail.
- In this Addendum, the following words and expressions will have the following meanings:
shall mean this addendum, including its appendix;
shall have the meaning given in recital (A) above;
“Customer Personal Information”
shall mean all Personal Information controlled by the Customer which is processed by SHOEBOX in connection with the SHOEBOX Solutions and Services;
“Data Protection Legislation”
shall mean all applicable laws relating to data protection and privacy including (without limitation) the EU Information Protection Directive (95/46/EC) as implemented in each jurisdiction, the EU General Information Protection Regulation (2016/679) (“GDPR”), the EU Privacy and Electronic Communications Directive 2002/58/EC as implemented in each jurisdiction, and any amending or replacement legislation from time to time;
Shall mean any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person; and
“SHOEBOX Solutions and Services”
shall mean any of the products and/or services provided by SHOEBOX to the Customer pursuant to the Terms.
3.In this Addendum, the terms “process“, “data controller”, “data processor” and “data subject” shall have the meanings set out in the Data Protection Legislation.
- NATURE OF THE INFORMATION
- The categories of Customer Personal Information to be processed by SHOEBOX and the processing activities to be performed under this Addendum are set out in the appendix to this Addendum.
- The parties record their intention that the Customer shall be the data controller and SHOEBOX shall be a data processor in relation to all Customer Personal Information.
- OBLIGATIONS OF THE CUSTOMER
- The parties shall each comply with their respective obligations under the Data Protection Legislation in respect of Customer Personal Information.
- The Customer shall ensure that its instructions and disclosures of Customer Personal Information to SHOEBOX are lawful and acknowledges that SHOEBOX is entitled to rely on the Customer’s instructions in respect of the processing of Customer Personal Information.
- OBLIGATIONS OF SHOEBOX
- SHOEBOX agrees to:
- only process Customer Personal Information for and on behalf of the Customer, in accordance with the instructions set out under the Terms or as otherwise given by the Customer from time to time. SHOEBOX shall notify the Customer if it is required by applicable law to process Customer Personal Information other than in accordance with those instructions, and shall inform the Customer of the relevant legal requirement before undertaking such processing (unless the relevant legal requirement prohibits the provision of such information on important grounds of public interest);
- ensure that those of its personnel who are involved in processing Customer Personal Information are bound by appropriate obligations of confidentiality;
- implement and maintain appropriate technical and organizational security measures to safeguard Customer Personal Information from unauthorized or unlawful processing or accidental loss, damage or destruction;
- taking into account the nature of the processing and the information available to SHOEBOX, provide reasonable assistance to the Customer in ensuring compliance with its obligations under the Data Protection Legislation in relation to security, data breach notification, data protection impact assessments and prior consultation with a supervisory authority and the fulfilment of data subject’s rights, where applicable from time to time; and
- upon written request, make available to the Customer such records as the Customer may reasonably require from time to time to demonstrate compliance by SHOEBOX with its obligations under this Addendum. In addition, SHOEBOX agrees to permit an audit to be conducted of its facilities no more than once per year, by the Customer or the Customer’s representatives (bound by appropriate obligations of confidentiality), provided such an audit is carried out: (i) upon ten (10) business days’ prior, written notice to SHOEBOX and during SHOEBOX’s normal business hours; (ii) in a manner that causes minimal disruption to SHOEBOX’s business and excludes from its scope any internal pricing information, information relating to other customers of SHOEBOX or other SHOEBOX’s own internal reports; and (iii) at the Customer’s own cost.
- SHOEBOX shall notify the Customer without undue delay and in any event within 72 (seventy-two) hours of becoming aware of any accidental, unauthorized, or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, or disclosure of, or access to, Customer Personal Information (“Security Breach“). SHOEBOX shall provide Customer with reasonable assistance in relation to the Security Breach, including the provision of such information as is known to SHOEBOX regarding the nature of the breach, the categories and approximate number of data subjects and records concerned.
- Nothing in this Addendum shall prevent either party from complying with any legal obligation imposed by a regulator or court. Each party shall however, where possible, discuss with the other party the appropriate response to any request from a regulator or court for disclosure of information.
- SHOEBOX agrees to:
- The Customer consents to SHOEBOX engaging subcontractors listed here to process the Customer Personal Information on its behalf (“Sub-processors“). SHOEBOX shall ensure that Sub-processors are subject to contractual obligations which are the same as or equivalent to those imposed on SHOEBOX under this Addendum. SHOEBOX shall inform the Customer of any intended changes concerning the addition or replacement of any Sub-processor within a reasonable time prior to implementation of such change. In the event of the Customer objecting to such change, SHOEBOX shall make reasonable efforts to address the Customer’s concerns (including making reasonable efforts to find an alternative Sub-processor).
- The Customer acknowledges and agrees that Customer Personal Information may be processed by Sub-processors outside the European Economic Area or the country where the Customer is located in order to carry out the Service and SHOEBOX’s other obligations under the Terms. SHOEBOX shall implement a data transfer solution to ensure any such transfers are compliant with the Data Protection Legislation.
- For the avoidance of doubt, where a Sub-processor fails to fulfil its obligations under any sub-contract, SHOEBOX shall remain fully liable to the Customer for the fulfilment of its obligations under this Addendum.
- TERM AND TERMINATION
- This Addendum shall commence on the effective date of your Terms and shall continue in full force and effect until the termination or expiration of the Terms between us. Within six (6) months of the termination of this Addendum, SHOEBOX may delete the Customer Personal Information and delete any existing copies in its possession unless required to retain such Customer Personal Information under applicable law. The SHOEBOX Solutions enable the Customer to securely export its Customer Personal Information at any time.
- GOVERNING LAW
- This Addendum and any dispute arising out of or in relation to it (whether contractual or non-contractual) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales.
APPENDIX: Description of Information Processing
The data processing activities carried out by SHOEBOX under this Addendum are as follows:
Description of SHOEBOX Solutions and Services:
Hearing testing and/or hearing screening services using an iPad-based audiometer, website and/or web portal, including related data management, processing and analysis services
Subject-matter of Processing:
SHOEBOX processes certain Customer Personal Information on behalf of its Customers in relation to hearing testing and/or hearing screening services. As described in detail in the SHOEBOX Privacy Statement, the content of the Customer Personal Information may include contact information for the Customer, demographics of the Customer’s participants and their hearing test results data.
Duration of Processing
For the duration of the SHOEBOX Solutions and/or Services to which this Addendum relates.
Nature and purpose of Processing:
To enable SHOEBOX to provide the Customer with certain SHOEBOX Solutions and/or Services in relation to hearing testing and/or hearing screening.
Types of Personal Information:
Customer Personal Information relating to Customers, provisioned users and Participants who access and use the SHOEBOX Solutions and Services. Participant Personal Information may be collected by the Customer and provisioned users of the Service and may include, without limitation, audiograms, hearing screening results, personal contact information, demographic information, location information, profile data, unique IDs, passwords, usage activity, transaction history, and online behaviour and interest data. SHOEBOX also collects information about visitors to it web properties.
Type of Sensitive Personal Information (Personal Information revealing race, ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade union membership, genetic or biometric information, health information or information concerning a person’s sex life or sexuality).
Hearing test or screening result data, medical information
Categories of Information Subjects:
SHOEBOX’s Customers, their provisioned end users of its Services, Participants, as well as visitors to SHOEBOX’s web properties.