Performing a hearing test requires taking several factors into consideration with one of the most important being the reason for the test itself. With traditional manual audiometers, the configuration is typically determined just prior to, or during testing by the tester using their training and years of expertise to determine the optimal settings for each patient. In this new age of evolving audiometric technology, it is now possible to pre-set one or several specific configurations for automated audiometric testing. This can prove particularly useful when testing groups of individuals for a common goal: in a primary care office, hearing conservation testing, school screening programs, outreach programs, etc. So where should one start?
There are five main factors that play into setting a hearing testing configuration. They are:
- What is the goal of the hearing evaluation? Are you conducting research? On a humanitarian mission? Performing an annual physical exam that includes a hearing test?
- Who is being tested? Are they young children? Individuals exposed to noise? Older adults?
- How much time do you have to run the test? Do you only have a pre-determined amount of time to conduct the exam or is time not a concern?
- What transducers are being used?
- Where is the test being conducted? Are you in a school? A clinical setting? An office building or a production plant?
Thankfully, all of the above parameters can be accounted for with custom configurations when testing is performed using SHOEBOX Audiometry. If for example, you regularly test employees as part of an occupational hearing conservation program, or you visit and test older adults in long-term care facilities, you can save these configurations for future use. Having a list of pre-set custom configurations means you can spend more time seeing patients and less time getting ready for the test.
We welcome the opportunity to further expand on what can be done using this innovative testing platform to help you achieve your hearing testing goals in a clinically proven, novel, and efficient manner.